Bulls rally to record inspirational win

Published on Sunday, July 31, 2022

Author : Josh Ward

Bundoora have all but assured themselves of a top three finish in the 2022 Melbourne Greyhounds Division 1 competition after defeating Greensborough by 14 points at Yulong Reserve. 

The visitors had a three-point lead midway through the final term after kicking the first two goals of the quarter before the Bulls stormed home to kick three majors in succession, including the sealer from co-captain Luke Collins, to prevail 11.10 (78) to 10.4 (64).

With West Preston-Lakeside’s defeat to Heidelberg on Saturday, the Bulls have a ten-point gap from the Roosters in third spot meaning things would have to go incredibly wrong for them to drop out of the top three.

The Boro meanwhile still sit in fifth spot, six points clear of both Macleod and North Heidelberg, but with Heidelberg to come next week, the pressure will be on Saade Ghazi’s men to get back to their best in the lead up to finals.

Collins was brilliant in midfield, with his positioning during stoppages ensuring he won plenty of clearances for his side while Bundoora’s other captain Brent Marshall, who was celebrating his 200th game for the Bulls, was composed in defence as he has been for most of his time in the navy and white.

Jackson Davies was also solid in the backline, with the Richmond VFL listed defender standing out with his intercept and contested marking while Sam Lloyd got back to his goal scoring ways with three goals.

Zak McCubbin led the way up forward once more for Greensborough, kicking three goals, while Nick Riddle can keep his head up high down back, keeping the inform John Jorgensen goalless.

Bundoora had all the ascendency in the opening moments of the first term, but it was the visitors who kicked the opening goal of the match nine minutes in through Tom Bell.

Despite the early blow, the Bulls continued to press, and it wasn’t long before their hard work was rewarded, kicking the next two goals through Lloyd and Kyle Green to lead by 10 points at the first change.

The home side brought some of their first term momentum into the second, with their defence again on show.

But the floodgates soon opened for the Boro Joel Trudgeon kicking his first of the match before McCubbin had his second to give his side the lead.

Saade Ghazi’s side extended their advantage on the cusp of time on through Jackson Hasler before Jacob Maynes got one back for what would be the Bulls’ only major for the quarter.

Trudgeon had his second just before half time to regain the Boro’s seven-point lead at half time.

However, as the third quarter commenced, it didn’t take long for Bundoora to capitalise on their early opportunities.

Lloyd kicked his second and Jesse King had his first major within the opening four minutes of the term to give the Bulls a five-point lead.

After Jackson Hasler tied the scores nine minutes into the quarter, Michael Ryan’s men kicked three majors in a five-minute span to suddenly jump out to a 20-point advantage.

However, against the run of play and thanks to some ill-discipline form the Bulls, Greensborough turned things around with McCubbin and Bell adding to their goal tallies to make it a nine-point ball game at three quarter time.

That momentum created by the ‘Boro’ continued into the final term after goals from William Reinhold and McCubbin, inside the first two minutes of the quarter, put the visitors in front.

Greensborough pushed hard as they looked to extend their margin, but the Bulls stood tall down back, outnumbering the Boro on each thrust forward.

Bundoora then started their charge towards victory with majors from Kain Proctor, Nathan Phillips and ultimately the sealer from co-captain Collins, sewing up an impressive 14-point win in front of their home fans.

Related News