Burra on the board

Published on Sunday, May 12, 2019

Author : Ben Pascuzzi

A dominant third quarter helped St Mary’s breakthrough for its inaugural win in A Plus Labour Solutions Division 2, with a 31-point triumph over Epping.

Leading by only six points at half-time, the Burra pulled away with a five-goal to one third term, which set up the 14.13 (97) to 9.12 (66) victory at Whatmough Park.

The result helped the Burra jump off the bottom of the ladder, with Epping now sitting in last place having not yet recorded a win in 2019.

Rhys Rigoni, Daniel Castagnini and Chris Petroro were also instrumental in their side’s first win of the season, while Myles Guldon was a force to be reckoned in the forward line, producing his second-consecutive three-goal haul.

Leigh Judd, Chris Chilcott and Bill Hughes were Epping’s best, with Chilcott and Dyllon Westra the Blues’ only multiple goal kickers, with two apiece.

St Mary’s got the jump early in the game between the competition’s two winless sides, with Myles Guldon nailing a set shot inside the first minute to get his side off to the best possible start.

A reply from Sage Dicello saw Epping take its first lead of the game, and it would prove to be the only time the Blues led for the day, with the Burra ending the term with three unanswered goals to take a 19-point lead into quarter time.

The interval seemed to halt St Mary’s momentum, with Chris Chilcott kicking an early goal for Epping at the start of the second term to try and ignite a fightback.

The Burra quickly responded, with Nicholas Dean replying at the other end to restore the home side’s 18-point advantage.

Dyllon Westra then exploded onto the scene for Epping, kicking two goals in a minute to bring the margin back to just five points midway through the second quarter.

St Mary’s was able to steady via goals to Guldon and Dean within a minute of each other, however Epping was able to mount another challenge and late goals to Corey Middleton and Chilcott just minutes before half time brought the Blues within six points at the main break.

With the game well and truly up for grabs, it was St Mary’s who lifted when it mattered most.

The Burra quickly erased the momentum Epping had built prior to the main break, kicking two goals in the opening minutes of the third quarter to extend their lead to 18 points.

Jackson Wolczko, Dean and Raygan Tate then got in on the act with goals of their own as the home side pushed out to a game-high 37-point advantage.

The damage looked to be done by three-quarter time, with St Mary’s leading 82-49 at the final change.

Epping managed seven scoring shots in the last term, however the sides each booted two goals each in the quarter as the Burra comfortably held on for a 31-point victory.

St Mary’s will now have a two-week break, with a bye to follow next week’s representative break, before taking on Diamond Creek on June 1.

Epping will continue its hunt for its first win when it takes on Thomastown at Main Street Recreation Reserve in Round 6.

Final score: St Mary’s 14.13 (97) def Epping 9.12 (66)

St Mary’s
Goal Kickers: M. Guldon 3, N. Dean 2, J. Wolczko 2, R. Rigoni 2, M. Hocking, N. Gedge, C. Kissane, J. Yeomans, R. Tate
Best Players: R. Rigoni, D. Castagnini, C. Petroro, C. Kissane, J. Galea, D. Ronalds

Goal Kickers: C. Chilcott 2, D. Westra 2, H. Vincent, A. Buchan, C. Middleton, S. Dicello, C. Wilson
Best Players: L. Judd, C. Chilcott, B. Hughes, R. Jepson, J. Carter, D. Westra

Related News