Burra put Hawks to the sword

Published on Sunday, June 10, 2018

Author : Doug Long

Heidelberg West’s four-game winning streak came to an end in a big way with a 55-point loss to St Mary’s at Heidelberg Park in Round 9. 

After an even first term, St Mary’s booted 12 goals to three in the second and third terms to set up the 15.21 (111) to 8.8 (56) win.

The Burra dominated the second term, but booted 4.6 to 1.1. The half time lead of 26-points left the door slightly ajar for the Hawks.  

But it was shut tight early after the main break – with St Mary’s slamming on four goals before Heidelberg West had troubled the scorer.

Myles Guldon provided plenty of highlights after the main break – with strong contested marking and four goals.

The Burra’s lead had blown out to a match-winning 56-points at the last break. From then on the Hawks fought it out well to win the final term by a point.

“We were outstanding across the board with our pressure,” St Mary’s coach Fabian Carelli said.

Carelli liked the work of rucks Jordan Galea and Nick Delanty in quelling the ruckwork of Jarryd Coulson. It meant  Heidelberg West was unable to get clear breaks from stoppages.

Coulson still did well around the ground and moved forward when the game was cooked to register two majors.

The Burra’s defence was on top all day – led by Lee Minuz, Mitchell Hocking and Shane Derham. The only Hawk forward who was on top was Jake Chiminello, with three goals from limited forward entries.

Dillan Ronalds and the other midfielders ensured that St Mary’s were also on top. They ensured the Hawks were regularly under pressure.

Jake Dambrauskas was very lively across half forward. He got on the end of a chain from the first bounce after half time to kick a good running goal. He also scored the last goal for his team.

The win sent the Burra two games clear on top of the Heidelberg Golf Club Division 3 ladder – with three teams on five wins having a game in hand. It also means they are close to locking away the double chance.

The Hawks remain a game outside the top-four with the loss, but are still in the hunt for a finals berth.

“We were beaten by a much better team today,” Heidelberg West coach Gary Cutler said. “We have to step up to be competitive against the top teams.”

Poor discipline cost them dearly in the game – with two yellow cards resulting in goals to St Mary’s. As well as that, they gave away some silly free kicks. 

Both teams have a week off as the round is completed next Saturday. The break should suit the Hawks especially – as they were down a couple of rotations late in the contest.

Ryan Lee was their best in the midfield – with help from Matthew Reinke and Daniel Offer.  Dean Warren was solid down back all day.

Goal-kicker Kyl Ewart returned in the reserves and booted three of the team’s five goals. He would be a handy addition for the Hawks if he can regain his form of previous years.

St Mary’s play Lalor at Whatmough Park next up on June 23, while Heidelberg West faces a critical match against fourth-placed Mernda at Waterview Recreation Reserve.

If the Demons lose to Kilmore next week at J.J. Clancy Reserve, then the Hawks have a chance to move into the top-four with a win in Round 10.

Final score: Heidelberg West 8.8 (56) def by St Mary’s 15.21 (111)

Related News