The Northern Football Netball League’s under-19 competition structure will undergo a change for the 2018 season.
The NFNL has completed a review of its under-19 competition over the past 12 months, looking at several possible structures.
NFNL clubs have had an opportunity to provide feedback throughout the process.
The 2018 under-19 competition structure will be determined by the number of clubs that enter an under-19 team.
Structure A – based on 17 or more team nominations
• Two under-19 divisions. Division 1 will have 10 teams, while Division 2 will have seven or more teams.
• All teams will be able to nominate the division they wish to play in
• If exactly 10 teams nominate for Division 1, those teams will make up the competition
• If more/less than 10 teams nominate for Division 1, grading over the first four rounds will occur
• The Division 1 under-19 competition will follow the Division 1 senior finals structure (top 5)
• The Division 2 under-19 competition will follow the Division 2 senior finals structure (top 4)
Structure B – based on 16 or less team nominations
• One under-19 division
• Each team will play each other once (the competition starting date to be determined by number of games required in the home and away season)
• Divisional Finals Series
> Top 5 Division 1 clubs (determined by seniors) play off in the finals. The finals series will follow the Division 1 senior finals structure
> Top 4 Division 2/3 clubs (determined by seniors) play off in the finals. The finals series will follow the Division 2 senior finals structure.
NFNL football operations manager Simon Devine said the league would work closely with all clubs to ensure a strong under-19 program in 2018.
“The NFNL understands the importance of clubs having an under-19 team,” Devine said.
“We will work closely with all our clubs to ensure as many as possible field an under-19 team in 2018.”
All clubs are to indicate if they intend to field an under-19 team and what division they wish to play in by December 8, 2017.
They must then confirm their final nomination by March 2, 2018.
The NFNL will assess all nominations and will then communicate to clubs the competition structure, dependant on the number of team nominations.
Fixtures will be released by mid-late March.
The NFNL thanks all clubs for their feedback during the review process.