Twenty players from NFNL clubs will feature in the 2021 NAB League Girls season, which commences this weekend.
Fifteen NFNL players have been included in the Northern Knights squad as they prepare to defend their 2019 premiership.
The Knights had made a glowing start to their first attempt at defending their title, winning their opening three matches in 2020, prior to the competition being cancelled due to the global COVID-19 pandemic.
Mikayla Plunkett, who has this year listed Lower Plenty as her home club has been named co-captain with Teleah Smart from St Mary’s. Plunkett is the daughter of Heidelberg and Bundoora premiership coach, Phil.
South Morang’s Maykaylah Appleby has also been named in the Knights’ squad. Appleby is one of 20 players selected in the 2021 NAB AFLW Academy.
The Academy, which is now in its fifth year of operation, provides opportunities to train with AFLW clubs and includes a high-performance camp and match in July. Players will also have access to expert coaches, high-performance and sports medical staff.
A further five players from NFNL clubs have been named in the Calder Cannons squad.
The 2021 NAB League Girls competition has been expanded to include under-19 players, given the cancelled 2020 season.
Thirteen clubs will take part in the nine-round home-and-away season, including the Tassie Devils.
A three-week conference finals series will begin in May, with the top four Vic Country/Tasmania and top four Vic Metro teams qualifying.
The 2021 campaign for both the Calder Cannons and Northern Knights begins at Highgate Reserve on Sunday, with the Cannons to take on Sandringham Dragons from 11am, before the Knights clash with Oakleigh Chargers from 12:45pm.
The NFNL congratulates all representatives selected in NAB League Girls squads for the 2021 season and wishes them the best of luck for the year ahead.
Continue below for a list of NFNL players who have been selected in NAB League Girls squads this year:
• Maykaylah Appleby (South Morang)
• Olivia Bandera (Research)
• Gulia Ceravolo (West Preston-Lakeside)
• Maeve Chaplin (Darebin Women’s)
• Tarrah Delgado (Research)
• Tannah Hurst (Darebin Women’s)
• Elvera Janev (Greensborough)
• Lauren Jatczak (Eltham)
• Trinity Mills (Lower Plenty)
• Michaela Molenberg (Research)
• Brooke Plummer (Diamond Creek Women’s)
• Mikayla Plunkett (Lower Plenty)
• Tallia Pulcino (West Preston-Lakeside)
• Monique Ramsay (Research)
• Grace Wake (Diamond Creek Women’s)
• Maddison Ford (Wallan)
• Kasey Lennox (Wallan)
• Peppa Poultney (Darebin Women’s)
• Kayley Reid (Diamond Creek Women’s)
• Maree Stephenson (Wallan)